The Sin of Murmuring
/END OF SERMON TITLE//>
/BEGIN MAIN BODY OF TEXT//>
By Derek Gentle
"Do all things without murmuring and disputing, that you may become
blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a
crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the
world" - Philippians 2:14-15
1. Murmuring is a Sin Practiced in Secret vs. 26
"You murmured in your tents"
2. Murmuring is a Sin Against God Vs. 26-27
"But you rebelled against the Lord and you murmured in your
"The Lord hears your murmurings which you make against Him.
And what are we? Your murmurings are not against us, but against the Lord."
- Exodus 16:18
3. Murmuring Misunderstands God's Purpose vs. 27
"You murmured in your tents, and said, 'Because the Lord hates
us, he has brought us out of the land of Egypt to deliver us into the hands
of the Amorites, to destroy us."
4. Murmuring Reveals a Rebellious Heart Vs. 26
"Nevertheless you would not go up, but rebelled against the
command of the Lord your God and you murmured"
5. Murmuring Discourages Others vs. 28
"Our brethren have discouraged our hearts, saying, 'The people
are greater and taller than we; the cities are great and fortified up to
heaven; moreover, we have seen the sons of the Anakim there.'"
6. Murmuring Fails to Recall God's Past Works vs. 29-33
"He will fight for you according to all He did before your
eyes, and in the wilderness where you saw the Lord your God carry you as
a man carries his son"
7. Murmuring Reveals a Heart of Unbelief vs. 32
"Yet, for all that, you did not believe the Lord your God"
/END MAIN BODY OF TEXT//>